Health, Sport, and Exercise Sciences

Programs in the Department of Health, Sport, and Exercise Sciences (HSES) offer undergraduate and graduate degrees preparing students to work in health, sport, and exercise-related fields. HSES graduates apply their knowledge to serve as teachers, researchers, clinicians, managers, administrators and other professionals in academic, private, and public settings. 

Doctoral students may pursue the Ph.D. degree with a major in Physical Education in the following specialization areas:

·    Exercise Physiology

·    Health Education & Psychology of Physical Activity

·    Sport Management

Graduate Admission to the School of Education

Graduate programs in education are open to students with acceptable baccalaureate and graduate degrees whose academic records indicate that they can do successful work at the graduate level. Regular admission requires a grade-point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Individual departments may require additional information and may have more stringent admission and retention requirements.

Some departments may offer special provisional admission categories to students who may not qualify under traditional admission criteria. Departments that offer provisional admission require a grade-point average of at least 2.5.  Applicants must provide evidence of ability to work successfully at the graduate level, including experience in and commitment to the profession. Exceptions to established policies must be sought individually by petition to the Graduate Division of the School of Education.

See Admission in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog for more information.

Each department in the School of Education sets its own application deadlines.  Prospective graduate students should contact their departments for more information.

Admission Requirements for the Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences

Supporting documents that should be sent to the university:

  1. One official copy of your academic transcript from each college or university attended sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies (313 Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS  66045-7535.   Note: A final degree transcript will also be required if you submit your application before you graduate from your undergraduate or master’s program. (example: submit in March, graduate in May).
  2. Official transcripts from an international university must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language, or documentation that the University’s mode of instruction is English.
  3. GRE scores need to be sent directly to us from the Educational Testing Center (KU Institution code 6871, Department code 3909)

Supporting documents to upload to your application:

  1. Your personal statement
  2. Your resume
  3. Three letters of recommendation - You will submit the names and email addresses when you apply.  The system will automatically email them and request that they upload  their letter to your online application.

Minimum Admission Requirements (Ph.D.)

  • 3.5 GPA, regular doctoral admission (3.0 - 3.49 GPA, provisional admission)
  • Ph.D. Admission: 153 on the GRE verbal section, 144 on the GRE quantitative section, and 4.5 on the GRE written analytical section.

Students applying for Ph.D. programs must contact a faculty member in their specialization area for a required interview.

International Applicants

International applicants also need to provide:

  • Official transcripts from an international university (must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language, or documentation that the University’s mode of instruction is English.)
  • English Proficiency exams score, such as TOEFL or IELTS. There will be no exceptions. Acceptable exams are TOEFL written score of 570 with all sections 57 or above; TOEFL computer score of 230 with all sections 23 or above and 40 on the essay or TOEFL internet score of 88 with all section 23 or above and 19 on essay; or IELTS with a band copy. Test scores should be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies (address above).
  • You will need to provide an official bank statement that you have $32,311 in a bank account to support your studies at the University of Kansas. International students are not offered assistantships or other financial aid during their first year of study. You should be able and prepared to finance the entire stay. If someone else will be supporting you, we will need a bank statement and a letter signed by that person indicating that they will be responsible for you financially. These statements should be uploaded to the online application.


  • March 15 for Fall admission
  • October 1 for Spring admission
  • March 15 for Summer admission


The University of Kansas

HSES Graduate Admissions
1301 Sunnyside Ave., Room 104
Lawrence, KS 66045-7520

Ph.D. Degree Programs

The Doctor of Philosophy degree is offered with emphases in exercise physiology, health education and psychology of physical activity, and sport management. Students must interview with a faculty advisor in the intended emphasis before admission.

Pre-aspirant status requires the prospective doctoral student to earn a grade-point average of at least 3.5 in the first 12 credit hours.

With the advisor, each student develops a course of study consistent with the student’s needs and the faculty’s expertise. This includes major courses, minor courses, core courses, and research skills.

Research skills must be completed before the aspirant is admitted to the comprehensive examinations. Twelve hours of statistical methods and demonstration of statistical application techniques in a research problem are required as evidence of research skills. 

Note: Contact your department or program for more information about research skills and responsible scholarship, and the current requirements for doctoral students. Current Lawrence and Edwards Campus policies on Doctoral Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship are listed in the KU Policy Library.

Students should obtain specific instructions and guidelines for graduate degrees from the department.