M.P.A./M.U.P. Combined Program
This program is designed for the student with career goals that center on assuming administrative and management responsibilities in urban planning and urban affairs. It combines into 3 years (excluding the 1-year internship required for the M.P.A. program) the normal course work required for the 2-year Master of Urban Planning degree and the 2-year M.P.A. degree. The program offers students experience not only in public policy management, but also in management with particular expertise in urban problem resolution.
A student must meet admission requirements of both programs. Dual admission requires submitting separate sets of application materials as required by the respective programs. The M.P.A./M.U.P. program is open to those who have earned baccalaureate degrees and whose undergraduate academic records indicate that they have the capacity to complete these graduate programs.
Admission to Graduate Studies
An applicant seeking to pursue graduate study in the College may be admitted as either a degree-seeking or non-degree seeking student. Policies and procedures of Graduate Studies govern the process of Graduate admission. These may be found in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog.
Please consult the Departments & Programs section of the online catalog for information regarding program-specific admissions criteria and requirements. Special admissions requirements pertain to Interdisciplinary Studies degrees, which may be found in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog.
Applicants for the M.P.A./M.U.P. program will apply for the M.P.A. Intern Track. Please visit our website http://kupa.ku.edu/admissions for complete admissions information.
The academic prerequisites for regular admission to the M.P.A. program are:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree, preferably with a background in the social sciences, including basic college algebra and statistics courses.
- A grade-point average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) for all previous university or college work. In certain circumstances, when the GPA is slightly below 3.0, other factors, such as strong Graduate Record Examination scores or exceptional letters of recommendation may be considered for provisional admission to the M.P.A. program.
For all applicants, a completed application includes:
- Online Graduate Studies application.
- A nonrefundable application fee, submitted online with the application form. For domestic applicants, the application fee is $65; for international applicants, the application fee is $85.
- 1 official transcript from the degree-granting college or university and any post-graduate college or university attended.
- 3 letters of recommendation. If possible, at least 1 should be an academic reference.
- A 3- to 5-page essay describing your background and career goals and clearly indicating how the M.P.A. degree fits into those goals and addressing any deficiencies in your academic preparation.
- A current résumé.
- A writing sample that is at least 5 pages long. It should be a well-cited work in which you critically analyze (not just summarize) an issue.
- Graduate Record Examination scores (General test only — verbal, analytical, and quantitative). GRE scores are not required, but recommended, for students who received their bachelor's degree more than 3 years prior to the time of admission. For reporting GRE scores to the KU School of Public Affairs and Administration, the institution code is 6871 and the department code is 4801.
Applications for intern-option applicants must be received by February 1.