The University of Kansas offers distance learning opportunities for students living across the United States. Pursuant with the U.S. Department of Education's regulation (34 C.F.R. § 600.9) regarding distance learning in the United States, the University of Kansas must obtain authorization from each state in which KU distance learning programs are offered. The University must also comply with the distance learning regulations established by each state and post notifications and disclaimers as necessary. Notifications and disclaimers in effect as of the date of this publication are printed below. Up-to-date information can be found at

Authorization (also known as licensure, approval, or registration) does not constitute a state's endorsement of the University of Kansas, distance learning courses or degree programs.

The transfer of course/degree credit is determined by the receiving institution. In general, degree programs in specialized career areas (education, nursing, etc.) will not lead to licensure in states other than Kansas. Students planning to apply for licensure in their home state should check with their program coordinator and home state for policies and procedures regarding licensure.

All distance learning programs at the University of Kansas have been approved by the Kansas Board of Regents. To view a list of the distance learning programs currently offered, visit

Questions regarding KU's authorization status in a particular state may be directed to the KU Center for Online and Distance Learning at or 785-864-1000.

Students who wish to file a formal complaint may find resources for conflict resolution at .

In addition, the following states have requested specific notifications and disclaimers be posted. These apply to students residing outside of the state of Kansas and who are enrolled in distance learning programs at KU.

Arkansas Residents

  • Students should be aware that these degree programs may not transfer.  The transfer of course/degree credit is determined by the receiving institution.
  • Arkansas students must understand that enrollment in a program that encourages pursuit of teacher/administrator licensure requires the student to pursue licensure in Kansas and then earn an Arkansas educator or school administrator license/endorsement by reciprocity.  The State of Arkansas has additional course requirements in order to earn an Arkansas license.  Information regarding Arkansas reciprocity can be found at

Georgia Residents

  • Georgia students enrolled in online programs must follow NPEC guidelines for submitting formal complaints. The NPEC website is

Louisiana Residents

  • The University of Kansas is approved to operate distance programs in the state of Louisiana, but approval does not constitute accreditation, guarantee the transferability of credit, nor signify that programs are certifiable by any professional agency or organization.

Mississippi Residents

Ohio Residents

Utah Residents

  • Utah students enrolled in online programs at the University of Kansas must follow Utah Department of Commerce Division of Consumer Protection guidelines for submitting formal complaints.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA)

As of January 16, 2015, the University of Kansas is a participant in the SARA initiative, which is a state-level reciprocity process aimed at making the effort to obtain state authorizations more efficient for institutions and to make it easier for students to enroll in distance education programs outside of the states in which they reside. Institutions that are members of SARA are authorized to provide education to students from all SARA member states.  States and institutions that choose to become members of SARA operate under a set of policies and standards that are overseen by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and administered by four regional higher education compacts.  For more information about the SARA initiative and the progress of state and institutional membership, please visit