Admission to Graduate Studies
An applicant seeking to pursue graduate study in the College may be admitted as either a degree-seeking or non-degree seeking student. Policies and procedures of Graduate Studies govern the process of Graduate admission. These may be found in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog.
Please consult the Departments & Programs section of the online catalog for information regarding program-specific admissions criteria and requirements. Special admissions requirements pertain to Interdisciplinary Studies degrees, which may be found in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog.
To be admitted to any of the department’s graduate degree tracks, a student must have a strong undergraduate record, particularly in the humanities. Creative writing applicants need to submit writing samples that demonstrate an advanced level of writing skills in their respective genres. For complete admission information, see the English department website.
All applicants must submit their graduate application online. All supplemental materials (transcripts, writing samples, letters of recommendation, etc.) may be attached electronically and submitted with the online application. Those who cannot submit supplemental materials electronically may mail them to the department:
The University of Kansas
Department of English
1445 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 3001
Lawrence, KS 66045-7594
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Degree Requirements
Requirements for the M.F.A. in Creative Writing include
- 4 graduate courses (12 hours) in literature, English or American.
- 4 graduate courses (12 hours) in creative writing.
- No more than 2 classes (6 hours) may be taken at the 600-level.
- 7 to 9 hours in electives or practica, chosen from graduate courses in the Department of English, or approved courses in another department.
- ENGL 899, Thesis (15 hours). Original writing in prose fiction, poetry, drama, or nonfiction prose.