Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
The mission of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is to provide:
- a dynamic research environment with programs in the disciplines of biochemistry and molecular biology.
- a superior educational experience for graduate students and medical students.
- a rich training environment for postdoctoral fellows.
- service to our institution and community.
Our areas of research strength include:
- Regulation of gene expression, emphasizing but not limited to transcription regulation.
- Protein folding and structure determination.
- Allosteric regulation of protein function.
- Signal transduction.
Our faculty members are associated with a variety of cross-disciplinary centers within the university.
Core services are available, which includes: a transgenic mouse facility; a biotechnology support center that offers DNA synthesis, sequencing, and microchip analysis; a state-of-the-art mass spectrometry facility; in-house x-ray crystallographic equipment; and a variety of spectroscopy and calorimetry instruments, including advanced fluorescence equipment.