Master of Arts in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Why study women, gender, and sexuality studies?
WGSS was built out of the dual goals of examining inequalities resulting from gender, race, sexual orientation, and class using an interdisciplinary lens and translating this research into meaningful, tangible knowledge that contributes to the betterment of communities. Our interdisciplinary faculty members are engaged in research that examines many of the cutting-edge issues vexing contemporary times, both domestically and globally, such as discrimination, violence, human trafficking, health and inequality, and migration, to name a few. The common thread throughout these different areas of research is the focus on investigating the factors that create and contribute to vulnerability and power across time and geography.
WGSS students learn about the ways in which people's roles in society have been constructed and the ways in which these roles have changed and continue to change. WGSS courses will make you informed about, and sensitive to, issues of gender in relation to education, lifestyle, social roles and status, sexuality, legal status, and equity. You will face these issues at work, in society, and in your world; WGSS courses will help you to deal with them in an informed, responsible, and just manner.
What will women, gender, & sexuality studies give me?
- Awareness of the issues facing people of all genders – and the world – today
- Knowledge of many different academic fields
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong writing and researching abilities
- A solid base on which to enter the workforce, pursue further education, and have an impact in the world
- Graduates of WGSS go on to do many different things, and the possibilities are endless