Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Analytics
The Master of Science in Applied Statistics, Analytics and Data Science is offered by the Department of Biostatistics & Data Science located at the University of Kansas Medical Center. This program is offered 100% online through the University of Kansas-Edwards campus. Graduates are equipped with hands-on statistical computing skills emphasizing proper application and problem solving and are prepared for careers in the rapidly growing fields of statistics, biostatistics, analytics, and data science. Many of the most employable graduate degrees involve statistics.
All coursework can be completed online, providing flexibility for working professionals who want to increase their knowledge of statistics, analytics, and data science. In response to workforce demand for knowledge and skills in analytics, data science, and statistics, students enrolled in this degree program may choose from one of three areas of emphasis:
- Analytics Emphasis will provide graduates with experience working with and analyzing large datasets using several of the most common statistical software tools.
- Statistics Emphasis will provide hands-on statistical computing in the context of statistical methods commonly applied in industry and government agencies.
- Data Science Emphasis will provide students with skills in statistical and computational methods for the acquisition and analysis of Big Data.
Characteristics of Graduates
Upon completion of the MS in Applied Statistics, Analytics and Data Science, the student should be prepared to immediately function as a statistician, analyst, and/or data scientist. Therefore, the student must have an understanding of the statistical theory underlying the methods most in-demand in the work force and should be proficient in the application of statistical methods within their field. Graduates of this program should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of statistical theory and practice.
2. Function as a collaborator on a project team.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in industry-standard statistical software.
4. Assume responsibility for the design and implementation of analyses for projects within his or her field.
5. Assist with the design and implementation of data management systems for projects within his or her field of application.
6. Prepare reports and publications resulting from said projects.
7. Effectively communicate the principles of statistics and analytics with his or her peers with varying statistical backgrounds.
8. Serve as an advocate for good statistical design and practice.